Box Office Watch: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Continues Success on International Front

HBP Film
August 31, 2009, 11:47 AM

For those keeping track at home, we have a quick update today regarding box office success for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. While faring well here in the US, the sixth installment in the Harry Potter series continues to have very impressive box office sum totals due to international showings.  ScreenDaily reports:

"Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince became the third biggest film in the series worldwide after adding $7.7m from 5,000 screens in 61 markets through Warner Bros Pictures International (WBPI) for $610.5m overseas and $904.9m globally. Greece was the final territory to receive the sixth episode in the family franchise and delivered an excellent $1.9m from 135 screens that was a clear number one and scored the biggest launch of the year.

Latest figures put Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince on $80.8m in the UK, $79.4m in Japan, $60.9m in Germany, $51.6m in France, $31.7m in Australia, $27m in Italy, $24.1m in China, $21.4m in Mexico, $19.6m in Spain, $18.6m in Brazil, and $18.4m in Russia."

You can also see slightly different numbers here (international here) from Box Office Mojo.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Avi_thumb

HP 7 parts 1 and 2 will be the biggest!!!
and this is a great article! $9m isn’t so bad :p

Posted by DesQueJteVois on August 31, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

awesum yay :)

Harry_potter_70_thumb

Regardless of the numbers showing each film’s success at the box office, I think HBP was an excellent film. I liked them all, and enjoyed them very much, each for different reasons, but I finally feel that in HBP they did it justice! For once, not focusing just on Harry and Voldemort..but everyone and everything pretty equally..

Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on August 31, 2009, 06:02 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

that is absolutely amazing!

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on August 31, 2009, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Harrycloseup_thumb

I think the numbers aren’t that important…I mean look at POA: it was an excellent movie and it only gathered up 795 mill.$ internationally and 249 mill.$ domestically…It’s like last on the list….HBP was excellent also had almost the same feel of POA :D Congrats cast and crew! :D

Posted by HarryLoony on August 31, 2009, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

yeah, that’s what i’m talking bout!!!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on August 31, 2009, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Lots of money!! I’ve seen it 3 times, so I glady paid my part in raising the standard. LOL :P

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on August 31, 2009, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

I have seen it twice. I wish I could have seen it more. But I just really hope that DH pt. 2 beats all the HP movies. Even SS. That would be soooo cool to finish with a bang :)

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on August 31, 2009, 07:49 PM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

I’ve seen it eight times. In fact, this past weekend was the first weekend since it premiered that I DIDN’T go see it! :) It will soon leave the regular theaters here but that’s okay because it will then go to the second-run $2 theaters. I’ll have to go see it at least once then. Maybe twice. Might as well make my total an even TEN times!

Posted by iamminerva on August 31, 2009, 08:11 PM report to moderator
Blastoid_thumb

Headmistress LemonFaerie: IMAX accounts for only about 10% of ticket sales. What Prince lost was the fairly difference between IMAX ticket prices and regular ticket prices: and distributors do not actually get that much more from IMAX tickets than they do from regular tickets (despite the price difference) because IMAX theaters get a bigger chunk of the ticket than do regular theaters.

As for Hallows, it is pretty improbable that DH1 will sell as many tickets as Stone did (which would be about $400 million today). Goblet probably is the upper limit on a “return” audience for a Harry Potter film, and that would be about $335 million today. Hallows will get the Thanksgiving boost, and people like Prince, so this is possible.

DH2 will depend entirely on how much people like DH1. It could be like Matrix 3, where everyone was so disgusted by the failure of the first film to complete a story that most of the audience didn’t come back. It could be like Pirates 3, where the audience was left somewhat “bleah” by the inconclusive ending of the first film. I do not think that it will be like Lord of the Rings, where even more people came back for the 2nd and 3rd films: people just do not like the Harry Potter films as much as they liked the Ring films.

Posted by Wimsey on August 31, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Owl_watermelon_thumb

Domestically (in the US), Half Blood Prince will probably just break the $300 million mark, since it is trending similarly to Order of the Phoenix at this point (OotP made about $9 million from weeks 7 through 21). Overall, this movie may make $1 billion, which is really good.

Posted by Lucia Meadows on August 31, 2009, 08:45 PM report to moderator
Potterpuffsi010-vi_thumb

I’ve seen it 4 times, I think, and once in
IMAX.

Posted by siriuslysirius11 {*SQUEE*} on August 31, 2009, 08:49 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I’m not suprised!! I loved the movie!!! I’ve already seen it 5 times and I’m tempted to go a 6th time. The last time I went the theater was still packed so I’m definitely not the only one seeing it multiple times. It’s just an amazing film.

Posted by cghambright on August 31, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I’m going again this weekend!

Wimsey, as you point out, ticket sales in UK pounds are nearly the same as in 2007 (accounting for the change in exchange rate), so—apart from U.K. inflation—this seems to mean that the same number of tickets have been sold in the UK as in 2007. (Ticket price inflation might shift this number, but the movie is still being shown and will probably add a few percentage points to its gross receipts.)

The change in the Euro/Dollar exchange rate is only about 4% and it is still a bit early to guess the final European gross, but it too could end up very close to 100% of the 2007 gross. (Again, ticket price inflation could shift that.)

What is your source for the number of tickets sold? The figures you give are very precise, which surprises me since accounting for inflation in different countries makes such estimates difficult to pin down.

I agree with Lucia Meadows that U.S. domestic gross should finish off in the $300-305 million range which, adjusted for inflation, should be within a percentage point of the gross of OOP. That would mean that essentially the same number of tickets were sold in the U.S. for the two movies.

Posted by Fragesteller on September 01, 2009, 01:14 AM report to moderator

"Enough of this nonsense! If I hear you've come anywhere near here again, I'll take another fifty points from Gryffindor! Yes, Weasley, from my own house!"