JKRowling.com Update: No Plans to Publish Harry Potter Encyclopedia

JKRowling.com
Posted by: Edward
May 22, 2012, 01:39 PM

In an update on J. K. Rowling's website, the author makes quite clear that plans to publish a physical copy of a Harry Potter Encyclopaedia are not on the horizon.  The entry, updated May 2012, reads:

What about the Harry Potter Encyclopaedia?
Updated May 2012
I have been enjoying sharing information about Harry’s world on Pottermore for free, and don’t have any firm plans to publish it in book form.
This statement replaces the April update on her website where she said "For a long time I have been promising an encyclopaedia of Harry’s world, and I have started work on this now – some of it forms the new content in Pottermore. It is likely to be a time-consuming job, but when finished I shall donate all royalties to charity."

Thanks to Becca for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKRowling.com News

Daniel_radcliffe_being_perfect_thumb

Well, I hope it does come out sooner or later, and I think we can all agree that Jo deserves a break after 10 years of this…but I have to admit, I am a little – okay, very disappointed. But this doesn’t do anything to dampen my love for Jo.

Posted by Potterhead777 {ROAR!} on May 22, 2012, 10:26 PM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

Promises and disappoints should be the title of her next book…

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on May 23, 2012, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

WHAT? But, She said she was going too do it! :(

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on May 23, 2012, 06:12 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Fleur-de- Lily: The update says “no firm plans” so it is entirely possible she still intends to publish the book at some point, but she doesn’t have a timescale and it may depend on other things, such as how much information goes into Pottermore.

Posted by roonwit on May 23, 2012, 07:29 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I guess she will get around to it when it is time…

Posted by Won_Two on May 23, 2012, 08:17 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

It seems to me that enough of the info can be drawn right out of the existing canon that she could hire a small army of assistants to compile about 90 percent of the encyclopedia with little further input from JKR, while she’s working on other projects. Then she could fill in the missing bits of backstory at her leisure. She’d have to edit and fact-check the other people’s work before final publication, of course, but it’s not like it’s all some humongous task that she’d have to do on her own from scratch.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on May 23, 2012, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Ravenpuff_thumb

C’mon Jo, you’ve never let me down before, please do this book. There are so many people out there that want this information and you HAVE the information. Pottermore is good, but it isn’t everything you promised when you talked about the “scottish book.” There are so many ways we hoped you would tell us some inside information about the world, such as your webite, and the disaster that was twitter. I remember when Pottercast interviewed Jo, and she talked of it being 10 years away as a joke. Now I wouldn’t be surprised to get it in 2017, or ever. Please Jo, do it!

Posted by Ravenpuffmax on May 23, 2012, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

B-b-b-b-ut!!!!!! I deserve this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by silverkacy on May 23, 2012, 08:51 PM report to moderator
Dobby_thumb

Please dont announce stuff like that and then take it back!! i myself would rather have a paper book in hand, rather than have to log on the internet and search pottermore for info. being an older fan of HP, i was disappointed in pottermore ( i guess with all the hype i was expecting so much more!). i really just like the backstories and thoughts of JKR rather than dueling or potions, plus it doesnt take that long to get through the book-then to have to wait soo long for the next book to come up! i also agree that maybe when DH comes out she will put out a physical encyclopedia because there will be a new generation of fans, and bring the old ones back at the same time.

Posted by jennluvsharry on May 24, 2012, 11:53 AM report to moderator

That’s very good news. When DH was published, I bet on her never writing the Encyclopedia. The reason is simple: she’s planning, since DH, on writing other HP books, and without stating too many facts in the Encyclopedia (especially facts about events after DH) that will be much easier. And she will be able to surprise her readers – a serious Encyclopedia would prevent that.
Now we need some patience. One or two non-Potter books, their inevitable failure, and eventually she’ll turn back to HP world.

Posted by Fantasio on May 24, 2012, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Fantasio: The problem with that is the book won’t fail. There are enough HP fans to make the next book successful regardless of its quality. It won’t be as successful as the Harry Potter books, but even if the book goes relatively badly, Jo has no reason to turn back to Harry Potter.

Posted by roonwit on May 24, 2012, 07:31 PM report to moderator

Roonwit: that’s true, but just for the first book. The second will be even less successful, the third could fail. What is important is the decision to postpone the Encyclopedia, because that’s a sign she’s not made her mind yet (about ending once and for all the HP series). Of course, it’s the success/unsuccess of next books that will decide the matter.

Posted by Fantasio on May 25, 2012, 06:42 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Fantasio: I would be surprised if the books do fail though. I suspect they will at least be ordinarily successful though probably not achieve the super-success of the HP books. Even if they aren’t I don’t think that will drive her back to the HP world, as I don’t think she cares that much about success – I think it is writing that is important to her now, with publishing and success much less so. We will probably still get the Encyclopaedia eventually, but I only think we will get another HP book if she feels she has a new story worth telling.

Posted by roonwit on May 25, 2012, 07:02 AM report to moderator
Omgangiepants_texas_1__thumb

It doesn’t matter. The Lexicon:http://www.amazon.com/The-Lexicon-Steve-Vander-Ark/dp/1571431748 is all we need. Maybe Steve will update the book with all the new information from Pottermore.

Posted by paintball on May 25, 2012, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

sniff sniff….WWAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Rin68nyr on May 27, 2012, 11:32 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Ah, what a story it is, Lucius," said Voldemort. "And it begins -- and ends -- with my young friend here."[br]He walked lazily over to stand next to Harry, so that the eyes of the whole circle were upon the two of them.